POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA IN ART HISTORY | PDAH
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE
The main objective of the Diploma is to provide a learning platform for any person with any academic background to enter the field of art history and related subjects. As such the Diploma functions as a conversion program for those whose academic background is not art history. The main intellectual objective of the program is to train the interested candidates academically ready to undertake higher-level academic and research training in art history.
- Bachelor’s degree in any subject awarded by a recognized university, or
- Professional or any other such qualificat ion recognized by the Board of Management of PGIAR, FGS, and approved by the Senate of the University of Kelaniya. Following qualifications can be considered under this provision for admission to Postgraduate Diploma Programs of PGIAR: 1) Four year Higher National Diploma (HND) offered by the Ministry of Education; 2) Praacheena Panditha Avasana and 3) Attorney at Law qualification from the Law College of Sri Lanka will be recognized by the Board of Management of PGIAR and accepted by the Senate of the University of Kelaniya,
- Minimum of 10 years sustained practice-based experience with notable achievements relevant to the subject matter of the diploma at executive/ managerial level in recognized institutions or workplace or at public level. Strong written recommendations on the capacity of the candidate to undertake the program of study from specialists in the filed will also be considered. See note below for the definition of notable achievements.
NOTE: ATTRIBUTES OF NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENTS FOR POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMAS.
Candidates are required to demonstrate their professional track record for over 10 years after age 20. Supporting materials in the form of books, published articles, news paper write-ups, catalogues, posters, portfolios, video films, music scores, project proposals written by the candidate; social activity records of the candidate and three recommendation letters from specialists in the field are required. Two of the recommendations should come from specialists who are not academic staff members of any Sri Lankan university. Recommendations cannot come from either the faculty of PGIAR, or any faculty member whose university is represented in the Board of Study or Board of Management of the PGIAR.
DURATION: One year.
MEDIUM: English and Sinhala
NUMBER OF CREDITS: 30
PDAH 51013 Ways of knowing and narrating the past / compulsory/ 3 credits
PDAH 51023 Historical archaeology / compulsory/ 3 credits
PDAH 51033 History of art and architecture of South Asia/ compulsory/ 3 credits
Number of credits earned in Semester 1 is 9.
PDAH 52043 World art: Mediterranean regions and Europe/ compulsory/3 credits
PDAH 52053 World art: Asia and Africa/ compulsory/ 3 credits
PDAH 530615 Research colloquium: PG Diploma Research Assignment in Art History/ compulsory/12 credits
PDFEP Art History Field Experience: 20-days/ compulsory requirement/ must complete within the academic year.
Number of credits earned in Semester 2 is 21.
Total number of credits earned for the fulfillment of requirements for the
AWARD OF THE POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA IN ART HISTORY
A candidate is eligible for the Postgraduate Diploma in Art History if he/she obtains,
I. Grades of B- or better in each of the course unit offered and satisfactorily completes the mandatory field experience period, and
II. Completes the relevant requirements within a period of two academic years.
A candidate shall be awarded a Merit Pass provided he/she
I. Obtains grades of ‘B’ or better in each of the course units offered and achieves a minimum GPA of 3.3, and
II. Completes the relevant requirements in the first attempt
A candidate shall be awarded a Distinction Pass provided he/she
I. Obtains grades of ‘A’ or better in each of the course units offered and achieves a minimum GPA of 4.0, and
II. Completes the relevant requirements in the first attempt.
Rs. 25, 000
The above fee can be paid in two installments. The first installment of Rs. 15,000 should be paid with the registration. The remaining Rs. 10,000 must be paid before the first examination of second academic year.
The applications can be obtained from the Administration office of the PGIAR
Duly completed applications should be sent to:
The Assistant Registrar,
Post Graduate Institute of Archaeology
University of Kelaniya
407, Bauddhaloka Mawatha,
Please indicate “POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA IN ART HISTORY” on the top left hand corner of the envelope.
Please forward the following along with your application;
- Certified copy of Birth certificate
- Certified copy of Degree certificate
- Stamp size (3cm « 2 1$2 cm) two photographs